The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, on Monday ordered an investigation into the building collapse in Abuja that left four people dead. The incident happened in the nation’s capital and has now drawn the attention of the Federal Capital Territory Administration, which has moved to take control of the matter while officials begin findings into the cause of the disaster.
During a visit to the scene on Monday, Wike directed the Department of Development Control to seal the property immediately. He also revealed that an engineer connected to the project had been arrested, while the developer behind the building would also be taken into custody as part of the ongoing investigation.
According to the minister, the government would set up a panel to examine the circumstances surrounding the collapse and determine those responsible. He described the incident as painful, especially because lives were lost in the tragedy. He said some persons were rescued from the scene, but four victims died before help could save them.
Wike stated that the Department of Development Control would begin preliminary investigations before the panel submits its full report. He explained that the government would not ignore issues linked to unsafe construction because the protection of lives and property remains a major duty of the administration.
The minister also warned developers against stopping officials of the Federal Capital Development Administration from inspecting construction sites. He said some developers usually resist supervision and later accuse government officials whenever enforcement actions are taken against them.
He explained that regular inspections are necessary to ensure buildings meet approved standards. According to him, authorities must confirm the kind of materials being used for construction, carry out proper soil tests, and determine whether the land can safely support the structure being built.
Wike added that many construction failures can be avoided if developers follow building regulations and allow government agencies to carry out their duties without interference. He noted that no amount of money can replace the lives lost in such incidents, adding that the government would continue taking steps to prevent future tragedies in the territory.
The minister assured residents that the administration would thoroughly investigate the collapse and ensure that anyone found responsible faces the law.