Your one-stop for the truth

2027: Wike Charges Supporters To Deliver Tinubu In Wards, LGs, States


The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has urged political stakeholders backing President Bola Tinubu to work for his victory in their wards, local government areas and states ahead of the 2027 general elections.


Wike made the call on Saturday while speaking with journalists during an inspection of ongoing road and infrastructure projects in Abuja.


The minister said political supporters should focus on securing electoral victories in their various areas rather than seeking positions in the presidential campaign structure.


According to him, political success is measured by what a person can deliver in his or her political base. He said supporters who cannot secure victory for Tinubu in their home states would have little to show even if they were given top positions in the campaign council.


Wike explained that this was one of the reasons he was not interested in becoming the Director-General of the All Progressives Congress Presidential Campaign Council for the 2027 election.


He recalled that some politicians who previously served as campaign directors-general were unable to deliver their own states to their presidential candidates.


The minister mentioned former Transportation Minister Rotimi Amaechi, former Senate President Bukola Saraki, former Sokoto State Governor Aminu Tambuwal and former Plateau State Governor Simon Lalong among politicians whose campaign roles did not translate into victories in their respective states.


Wike said his priority would be to protect and strengthen his political base, adding that he considers both Rivers State and the Federal Capital Territory important areas of political responsibility.


The FCT minister also restated that he is not a member of the APC, but said his support for Tinubu does not depend on belonging to the party or serving on its presidential campaign council.


He said political groups that backed Tinubu during the 2023 election worked together through a broad coalition across different parts of the country and could adopt a similar approach in 2027.


Wike noted that political arrangements would differ from one state to another, depending on local interests and the strength of the various groups involved.


The minister also pointed to the ongoing infrastructure projects in Abuja as part of the evidence of the Tinubu administration’s performance. He said the completion of projects that directly affect residents would be more useful during an election campaign than making promises.


Wike spoke while inspecting the Apo-Karshi Road and the 14-kilometre dualisation of the Bwari-Kubwa Satellite Town access road.


He explained that the Apo-Karshi Road was among the projects inherited by the Tinubu administration, having initially been awarded in 2010. According to him, the FCT Administration cancelled the earlier contract because of the importance of the road and complaints from residents before awarding it to SCC.


The minister expressed satisfaction with the progress of work on the road and said the contractor had indicated that it would be ready by November.


He also praised SCC for continuing work despite challenges relating to payments, saying the contractor’s efforts showed confidence that the government would meet its financial obligations.


On the Bwari-Kubwa road, Wike said the 14-kilometre dualisation was designed to improve movement between the satellite towns and Kubwa while supporting economic activities in the area.
He said the project was part of the infrastructure work being carried out under the Renewed Hope agenda and would improve access for residents who had long needed better road connections.


Wike further disclosed that the FCT Administration was working towards completing and commissioning several major projects before the 2027 elections.
He recalled that he had earlier targeted 10 projects for completion and commissioning but said the number could rise as work progresses on other projects across the territory.


The minister said the administration was focused on turning its plans into completed projects that would improve transportation, business activities and the daily lives of residents.
He maintained that the impact of government projects should be seen in the lives of the people, rather than judged by campaign promises alone.

Comments are closed.