The presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, Peter Obi, has called on the Federal Government and other authorities to take urgent steps to stop the rising cases of killings and abductions in parts of the North-Central region.
Obi made the call on Sunday while reacting to recent attacks in Benue, Plateau and Niger states, where several communities have reportedly been affected by violence, deaths, abductions and destruction of property.
The former Anambra State governor described the situation as a serious national security concern, warning that Nigerians should not be left at the mercy of armed groups attacking communities across the country.
He said the recent incidents in the three states showed that insecurity was spreading across communities and required a stronger response from governments at all levels.
In Plateau State, Obi referred to the attack in Mangu, where at least 23 people were officially reported killed in Jwak Maitumbi. Residents, however, reportedly gave a higher death toll of more than 30, while over 45 houses were said to have been destroyed.
He also mentioned attacks in Borgu, Niger State, where reports indicated that more than 40 people were killed and over 100 others abducted. He noted that the figures from the incident were still subject to confirmation.
According to Obi, the situation in Benue had also remained troubling, with several communities facing repeated attacks, killings, abductions and the destruction of homes and farms.
He questioned how citizens could continue to be attacked in their communities when Nigeria was not officially at war.
Obi said the attacks should not be treated as separate incidents because similar security challenges were being reported in different parts of the country.
He called on the Federal Government, state governments and security agencies to improve intelligence gathering and strengthen their ability to respond quickly whenever threats emerge.
The politician also urged authorities to intensify efforts to rescue people who had been abducted and ensure that those responsible for the attacks were arrested and prosecuted according to the law.
He said government should move beyond responding to attacks after lives had already been lost and instead develop stronger measures capable of preventing such incidents.
Obi maintained that protecting citizens and their property remained one of the basic responsibilities of government. He therefore urged the authorities to act decisively to restore safety in affected communities and prevent further loss of lives.
He warned that continued attacks, displacement and destruction of livelihoods could deepen fear among Nigerians and further weaken economic activities in affected areas.
The former governor also called for better coordination among security agencies and governments to ensure that communities facing threats receive timely protection.
Obi said Nigerians deserved to live, work and worship without constant fear of being attacked, abducted or driven away from their homes, stressing that the country must not be allowed to descend into a situation where violence becomes a normal part of daily life.
Comments are closed.