Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke and members of his convoy came under gunfire on Wednesday after suspected hoodlums attacked the governor’s entourage shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.
The incident happened in Osogbo, the state capital, around 3:15pm, shortly after Adeleke visited the monarch to present his Certificate of Return following his victory in the August 15 governorship election.
The governor had arrived at the palace in a convoy of about 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission, where he formally received the document confirming his re-election.
According to eyewitness accounts, Adeleke met with the traditional ruler inside the palace and presented his Certificate of Return before the meeting ended. The governor had reportedly left the palace hall with some of his aides when gunshots suddenly rang out in the area.
The suspected attackers were said to have arrived in an unregistered Sienna bus through the Ita Olokan area. They reportedly opened fire around the palace, leading to a gun battle with members of the governor’s security team.
The exchange lasted between 12 and 15 minutes, causing fear among residents, traders and other people around the palace and nearby areas.
The attackers were also said to have fired towards the main entrance of the palace, damaging the gate in the process. Security personnel attached to the governor reportedly pushed them back as the attackers attempted to advance.
The gunmen later moved towards the area around the Osogbo Central Mosque before fleeing in the direction of Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.
The incident forced traders and residents in the area to abandon their businesses and look for safer places as the shooting continued.
The Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed that the governor’s convoy had been attacked.
Alimi said security personnel attached to Adeleke successfully repelled the attackers and that no death was recorded during the incident.
As of about 4:45pm, sporadic gunshots were still being heard in parts of the area, while some business owners had closed their shops because of fears that the violence could continue.
The attack occurred on the same day Adeleke received his Certificate of Return from INEC following his re-election, adding tension to political activities in the state.





Comments are closed.