The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has said major road projects in Abuja are expected to be completed by December 2026 and early January 2027 as part of efforts to improve transportation and reshape the capital city.
Wike gave the assurance on Tuesday in Abuja after inspecting work on the Inner Southern Expressway, also known as Goodluck Jonathan Way, and the service carriageways of the Southern Parkway in the Gaduwa District.
The minister said the projects, which have faced delays over the years, would improve movement across the Federal Capital Territory when completed.
The Inner Southern Expressway project was initially awarded in 2014 but has remained unfinished for years. Wike said the current administration had provided the funding needed to speed up construction and bring the project to completion.
He expressed confidence that the two road projects would be ready around the end of December, adding that their completion would change the appearance and road network of central Abuja.
The projects include major interchanges and several kilometres of road infrastructure designed to improve connections between different parts of the capital.
Wike said the completed roads would help reduce pressure on busy routes, improve traffic flow and make movement between major areas of Abuja easier for residents and commuters.
The minister also pointed to the effect of the construction work on communities around the projects. He said young people from nearby communities had been engaged in the projects, helping to create jobs and maintain a peaceful working environment.
Wike praised China Geo-Engineering Corporation, the main contractor handling the projects, for maintaining work on the sites during both the day and night.
He said the contractor’s steady work had helped increase the pace of construction on the Southern Parkway and the Inner Southern Expressway.
The minister also credited the Federal Government for providing the funds required to accelerate the ISEX Phase 1 project. He said President Bola Tinubu had approved the full release of funds for the project.
The first phase of the ISEX project includes the construction of two major interchanges and more than five kilometres of road.
Wike said the improved funding had allowed the contractor to move ahead with construction despite earlier delays in receiving initial mobilisation.
He encouraged other contractors working on projects in the FCT to remain committed to delivering quality infrastructure rather than focusing only on immediate financial returns.
The minister assured contractors that the FCT Administration would meet its financial responsibilities under valid agreements and urged them not to allow outside pressure to slow down construction.
He said the government would continue to support projects that improve Abuja’s infrastructure and create better conditions for residents, businesses and commuters.
When completed, the Southern Parkway and Inner Southern Expressway are expected to provide additional road links, ease congestion on existing routes and improve access between key districts in the Federal Capital Territory.