Wike: Tungan Madaki-Zuba Road, 9 Others Ready Before 2027

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has said at least 10 major road and infrastructure projects in Abuja are expected to be completed and ready for commissioning before the 2027 general elections.

Wike made this known on Wednesday while inspecting the ongoing Tungan Madaki-Zuba Road and Nile University-RR3 Road projects in the FCT. He said the inspection was aimed at checking the level of work on projects launched during the third anniversary of the current FCT Administration.

The minister expressed confidence in the contractors handling the projects, saying they had the equipment, experience and manpower needed to complete the work within the agreed period.

At the Tungan Madaki-Zuba Road project, Wike said five of the six box culverts had already been completed. He described the progress as encouraging and said the contractor, China Geo-Engineering Corporation, had committed to delivering the project by December.

He said the contractor had previously handled major projects and had shown the ability to deliver the road within the expected time.

Wike also disclosed that the contractors working on the projects had not received up to 30 per cent of their mobilisation payments despite the high cost of the projects. He assured them that the FCT Administration would meet its financial responsibilities to avoid delays.

According to the minister, the administration is working towards having at least 10 major projects ready for commissioning before the 2027 elections. He added that inspections of more projects would continue as the administration monitors their progress.

Wike also spoke about the administration’s efforts to reduce flooding in Abuja. He said the FCT had begun removing structures and other obstructions built along waterways and drainage channels.

The exercise started in Maitama on Tuesday and is expected to spread to other parts of the capital where structures have affected the free movement of stormwater.

The minister further disclosed that the Director of Development Control was being questioned over alleged approvals given to car dealers to use designated green areas for their businesses.

Wike ordered the immediate removal of car dealerships operating on such spaces and said the green areas must remain available for recreation and environmental purposes.

He said the administration would not allow businesses to continue using public green spaces for car sales and directed dealers who want to operate in Abuja to secure suitable private locations for their businesses.

The minister also said the government would continue removing buildings and other structures that block waterways, regardless of the criticism the exercise may attract.

He questioned the legality of constructing buildings on drainage channels and said the administration’s actions were aimed at restoring proper water flow and protecting communities from flooding.

Wike maintained that the enforcement exercise would continue across the FCT until structures obstructing drainage routes, waterways and other public infrastructure are removed.

The minister said the ongoing projects and enforcement measures are part of the FCT Administration’s wider efforts to improve infrastructure, protect the environment and address flooding across Abuja.

News