A Magistrate Court in Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State, has remanded a disqualified All Progressives Congress governorship aspirant, Abimbola Olajumoke, in custody for one month over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberbullying and kidnapping.
Olajumoke was remanded following a case brought against her by Yemisi Joluwe, the Chief Executive Officer of YSJ Agro-Allied Limited.
The court, presided over by Chief Magistrate Abayin Adeosun, had previously granted Olajumoke bail. However, the bail was later withdrawn after she failed to appear before the court during the next scheduled hearing.
Following the development, she was arrested and detained in connection with the case. The court has now fixed September 15 for the next hearing.
Joluwe, while speaking on the matter, said she approached the court because of what she described as damaging claims against her company and the alleged effects of those claims on its reputation and workers.
She said YSJ Agro-Allied Limited was open to genuine criticism and public feedback but would not accept allegations that it considered false and intended to harm its business.
According to her, the legal action was aimed at protecting the company’s reputation, reassuring its investors, employees and customers, and seeking justice through the appropriate legal process.
Joluwe also said the case had not stopped the company’s normal activities, noting that YSJ Farms remained focused on its agricultural operations, food production and youth empowerment programmes in Ekiti State.
She said the company was seeking a retraction of the alleged claims, an apology and compensation for any damage caused. She also said the case was intended to reinforce the need for accountability, particularly in an era when information spreads quickly through social media.
On the allegation involving kidnapping at the farm, Joluwe said the company had maintained cooperation with security agencies to protect its workers and management.
She stated that security agencies were investigating claims linking Olajumoke to the alleged kidnapping and killing of a staff member, adding that the company would allow the investigation and legal process to take their course.
Joluwe further said the safety of workers and young people participating in the company’s agricultural programmes remained a priority. She added that YSJ Farms had been working with the Ekiti State Government and security agencies to maintain safety across its farm locations.
She said the youths involved in the programmes were still working at the farms and earning income from their activities.
The court’s decision to keep Olajumoke in custody comes as the allegations against her remain before the court. The matter is expected to return on September 15 for further proceedings.